Thursday 13 September 2012

Why the name?

2 Blog posts in one day.  Oooh!  Why?  I was asked why the name, which comes from a Pink Floyd song.

Ever since I was a little girl, I always wanted the ability to fly.  I used to have these recurring dreams in which I was flying.  I loved those dreams.  It has been a while since I have had those dreams, but I certainly wouldn't mind if I had them again.

The Pink Floyd song - 'Learning to Fly' appeals to me - not just in the imagery but also in the emotion that it evokes.  To me, I see it as someone who has been bound for so long and finally has the freedom to fly.  That is how I feel with my Deafness.  For so long, I didn't know my Deaf identity and when I turned 18, I ventured into the Deaf community and met people that I now have good friendships with.  However, I am still learning to fly - my condition is still grounded, but I am determined to keep on trying.  I am tongue tied in that I cannot speak perfectly and I use NZSL and ASL as my main forms of communication, but I will speak if I have to, if the person I am speaking to can understand me.



Another earth bound misfit is the Kiwi - no wings, it is rather an unique bird.  Just like a New Zealander.  Just like me :-)

I also love to fly in planes.  Nothing like the feeling when the plane is taxiing down the runway and then it just lifts.  I look forward to that part every time I get onto a plane!

Wouldn't it just be awesome, being able to fly - imagine all the freedom you could have!

3 comments:

  1. Love it - and nice and easy to read! You are now officially a blogger! Now lets make some money from it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always spoke perfectly to me. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos on your dreams-- now set them in action! Do you want to learn to fly a plane?

    Like you, I met other deaf and hard of hearing folks when I was 19. It's been an amazing journey since then. One of my goals is to visit your country someday!

    ReplyDelete